Canada goose legs and thighs are often discarded by hunters who think they are tough and unpalatable. When you embrace the legs and thighs and cook them with care, you’re apt to consider them the best part of the bird.
Braising is the best way to make legs fall-off-the-bone tender. Browning the meat, then cooking for a prolonged period in a liquid, will make the legs so tender you can eat every ounce of protein. Unlike many upland species, waterfowl legs do not have fine bones, and the slow cooking turns the chewy parts into collagen and gelatin, adding to the flavor of the meat.
A soak in some tasty sauce will make the legs and thighs a family and friend favorite.
Remove the legs and thighs as one piece by cutting the hip joint where it meets the pelvis. The thigh can be pulled backward to pop the joint at the hip for easy removal. Make sure to leave any excess fat attached to the meat so it can render when cooked and provide incredible richness to your dish.
- 8 goose legs and thighs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Asian chili sauce (Sambal oelek)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
- Season legs and thighs with pepper, heat olive oil and butter on medium-high in a frying pan and brown the legs, about 3 minutes each side.
- Place the legs and thighs and chicken broth in a crockpot. Add water to ensure all portions of the meat are covered with liquid. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender (time varies depending on the size of the geese).
- Combine honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce, garlic, and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for several minutes until it thickens.
- Gently remove the legs from the crockpot and place them in a shallow pan. Pour half of the sauce over the goose, and let it marinate for 10 minutes. Place the legs and thighs on a serving plate, and cover with the remaining sauce. Serve immediately.