Every gun dog owner needs a place to keep a canine, whether you’re traveling on the road for training or hunting, or in the backyard at the house. As a result, there a number of different styles of dog kennels and crates. Among your options are individual canine crates, multi-compartment trailers and even vehicle-mounted boxes. Depending on your needs, different crates and kennels are going to be more useful for you.
Here are some of the best dog crates, kennels and trailers on the market this year.
- Turn any pickup, SUV or UTV into a mobile dog pen with <a href="http://alumilene.com" target="_blank">Alumilene</a> kennels made of high-density polyethylene and fiberglass reinforced plastic to stand up against the harsh elements. Sliding ramps make it easier for your dog to get in and out of the truck, and optional wateres will keep him hydrated on those extended trips. Lockable Vaults and Kargo Glides are available for storage and access to gear.
- Dog crates by <a href="http://bittercreekhunting.com" target="_blank">BitterCreek</a> come in four models, each with double wall construction and one-inch insulation, louvered doors, and side vents for cross-ventilation. Any model crate can be custom-mounted on most ATVs. All Bitter Creek trailers have aluminum frames, double walls with one inch insulation, torsion bar axels, aluminum wheels, LED lighting, and roomy stalls with doors that have adjustable ventilation. Options include corrosion -resistant stainless steel exterior and interior skins, roof-mounted adjustable ventilation, and air circulation fans.
- For the hunter who wants to transport a couple dogs and a modest amount of hunting gear or the person who needs to move a dozen dogs and lots of equipment, <a href="http://www.getmypointllc.com" target="_blank">Canine Cargo Carrier</a> is the place to go for “custom trailers.” Each dog trailer is individually designed and manufactured to customer specifications. Standard features on larger units include: “walk-in” dimensions, air conditioning, electric heater, roll out awnings, and the “Honeycomb” dog crate system for stacking compact individual custom crates on a wall for a space-saving arrangement. Side and/or rear trailer entries are available as well as storage areas large enough to hold a full-size ATV or UTV and other equipment.
- The Easy-Loader two-compartment canine crate is made from a strong, sun-resistant, lightweight (32 pounds) polymer plastic to hold two dogs as big as 70 pounds. <a href="http://easyloaderkennels.com" target="_blank">Custom Molding Services'</a>steel welded-wire doors are powder-coated and have spring-loaded latches which open and close with one hand. There are two sizes: One for full-size pickups and suburbans at 49” wide x 21” high x 28” deep and one for compact trucks and SUVs at 43” wide x 21” high x 31” deep. With a two-part clam shell design, the Easy-Loader can be compactly shipped by UPS and assembled in 10 minutes.
- For more than 30 years, the <a href="http://www.jonestrailers.com" target="_blank">Jones Company</a> has been designing and building dog trailers and truck chassis-mounted dog boxes with multiple compartments. These products have been sold in every state in the USA, every province of Canada, and to many countries worldwide. Standard four-stall and custom multiple-stall units are built from from aluminum or stainless steel with sturdy, time-tested features including full insulation, ample ventilation, and complete running lights. Among the available options for the trailer and boxes are built-in water tanks, top and side storage compartments, and flood lights Also in the Jones product line are several models of standard dog crates that can be custom-mounted on any model of truck or ATV.
- Using a common 50-gallon barrel with a special-made steel door was the way Joe Shown got into the dog house business nearly 25 years ago. Today, Shown still sells the <a href="http://www.k-9kondo.com/categories/K%252d9-Kondo/" target="_blank">K-9 Kondo</a> barrel kit all over the world. Shown recently added the Dog Den, a 34” long x 22” wide x 22” high dog box made with chew-proof, zinc-plated steel exterior walls, tough plastic interior walls and a ceiling, and steel floor—all of which are foam insulated. A removable lid makes the Dog Den easy to clean and to replace bedding. The wind- and rain-proof all metal K-9 “Kennel Door” is included. The Dog Den is shipped unassembled and can quickly and easily be put together with basic tools.
- In the canine confinement components and system design business for more than 125 years, <a href="http://www.masonco.com/animal-enclosures/dog-systems" target="_blank">Mason Company</a> makes fence panels and entry doors in galvanized chain-link and welded wire, as well as welded stainless steel. Standard design and custom units are available to hold one dog or dozens of them. Options include: fiberglass reinforced plastic partition panels resistant to scratching, stains, odors, and moisture. Silver Seal, a waterproof sealant for a clean, disease-resistant kennel floor, is another popular product. Inside and outside runs can be assembled yourself or come ready-to-use.
- Custom dog crates and trailers made from sturdy, sun-proof, easy-to-clean polyethylene plastic are specialties of <a href="http://www.northstarplasticsinc.com" target="_blank">North Star Plastics</a>. Plastic panels are welded and all walls are insulated for protection from extreme heat or cold. Standard features on most crates and trailers include stainless steel hinges, door latches, and loading handles as well as a grated floor designed to collect water, mud, and dirt. Also available are such options as built-in water tanks, a top-mounted storage compartment with lift-up lid or bottom slide-out drawers, and a fan-powered air circulation system. North Star will custom design single to multiple dog crates to fit any size vehicle or trailers.
- For any gun dog owner who wants an already built outside kennel run with a walk-in area for a doghouse, <a href="http://padutchbuilders.com/index.php/products/petstructureshorsebarnscustombarns" target="_blank">PA Dutch Builders</a> has a single building that combines both these features in a portable unit that can be delivered to anyone’s backyard just about anywhere in North America. Made from standard quality, full-dimension house building materials, the kennel runs come in a choice of styles that include roofs that cover the outside run and inside dog house area. The outside run features welded wire fencing for proper ventilation and strong security with a dog house that is fully insulated, paneled with industrial grade sanitary sheeting, and set up for 110-volt electric heat and air conditioning. The PA Dutch Builders product promises a long, hassle-free life span.
- If you need to transport a dog cross country but don’t have the money and time necessary to make the trip, or don’t want to deal with the expense and inconvenience of an airline, call Chuck Thomas at <a href="http://www.gundogmag.com/2010/09/23/tools_trade_confinement_systems_gd_redwing_0909/" target="_blank">Redwing Hound Hauler</a>. Using a full-size truck-towed dog trailer, Thomas can safely, conveniently and economically pick up and deliver any kind of dog to nearly anywhere in the U.S. All dogs on the road are contained in their own compartment, are walked and aired in six-hour intervals, and regularly fed and watered.
Turn any pickup, SUV or UTV into a mobile dog pen with Alumilene kennels made of high-density polyethylene and fiberglass reinforced plastic to stand up against the harsh elements. Sliding ramps make it easier for your dog to get in and out of the truck, and optional wateres will keep him hydrated on those extended trips. Lockable Vaults and Kargo Glides are available for storage and access to gear.